Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

R.I.P. Pierre Christin (1938–2024)

mct16
#1 · Posted: 4 Oct 2024 10:42
Comic artist Pierre Christin has died at the age of 86. Christin is best known for the science-fiction series "Valerian" or "Valerian and Laureline", a series involving both space and time travel in a way similar to "Doctor Who".

He worked on the series with his childhood friend, writer Jean-Claude Mézières.

Like many of the best comics (including Tintin), Christin and Mézières used the series to highlight social and political issues: "Welcome to Alflolol" delves into the theme of colonisation and the exploitation of natural resources; while "The Land Without Stars" raises the conflict between genders.

Many French critics like to think that Christin and Mézières' work influenced others: that their saucer-like spaceship inspired the Millennium Falcon from "Star Wars" or that Central Point, a major gathering place for aliens from throughout the galaxy, influenced the TV series "Babylon 5".

The series has itself been adapted for other media: "Time Jam", a cartoon series which features many of the characters from the comics but hardly any of the plots and which I quite enjoyed; and the film "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" which I watched once and not bothered with since.

Christin was a great artist who came up with all kinds of strange and wonderful aliens mixing together in ways similar to "Star Trek" or "Star Wars". Mézières' plots could get a bit whimsical but Christin's drawing cannot be flawed.
RedVictory356
#2 · Posted: 9 Oct 2024 06:24
Thanks for sharing this, mct16. His work on Valerian was wonderful. A correction: Christin was the writer; the artist was Mézières.
george
#3 · Posted: 10 Oct 2024 18:50
mct16:
[...] the film "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" which I watched once and not bothered with since.

You did well to get that far. Cara Delevingne's eyebrows were the most convincing element of the entire production.

Pierre Christian also did a series of books with Enki Bilal that are good value (although not literally with Titan's absurd price point) which were some of the first 'adult' comics I read when Catalan published them some point in the 80s or 90s.

george

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!