Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin on BBC Radio's Great Lives

Balthazar
#1 · Posted: 3 Oct 2024 12:50
I noticed that BBC Radio 4 Extra (their archive radio station) broadcast this 2007 episode of Great Lives this morning, which I've just listened to on the Sounds app, in which travel writer and photographer Nick Danziger chooses Tintin as the subject. As the presenter Matthew Parris points out, it's highly unusual for a fictional character rather than their real life author to be the subject in this long running programme format, but (perhaps because he's a Tintin fan himself) he allows it. It's a nice listen, I thought, with Michael Farr joining the discussion as the guest expert (genially disagreeing with Matthew Parris's humorously tongue-in-cheek pet theory that Tintin is gay!) and with a brief extract of Hergé himself being interviewed in English by the BBC. While none of the info or lightly covered controversies will be new to most Tintin fans these days, it's great to hear Nick Danziger's enthusiasm for Tintin's positive influence on his own career, and to hear the clear enjoyment the three of them have had for reading the books since childhood.
tintiNZ
#2 · Posted: 5 Oct 2024 08:28
A great presentation to listen to. Thanks for posting Balthazar.

Both Danziger and Michael Farr have done great work since the original broadcast. Also, the number of languages that Tintin has been translated into has almost doubled since that time 17 years ago.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!